Published on Global Dimension – the world in your classroom, by Moira, March 18, 2011.
The links below provide background information and/or teaching ideas relating to the recent earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan:
- Probably the best place to start is the Geographical Association, which has brought together a wide range of resources, reflections and teaching ideas.
- The British Red Cross has an activity for secondary students based on a news report and video clip.
- The Day is a news website for schools which is offered as a paid subscription service, but they have a free special report on Japan.
- The Guardian Teacher Network has created a set of activities for 9-14 year-olds – you can also search for other relevant resources – you need to register to download materials, but it’s free.
- The Times Educational Supplement has also brought together lots of teaching resources – free registration is also required for this site.
- The New York Times Learning Network has a page on 20 Ways to Teach About the Disaster In Japan Across the Curriculum
- (aimed at US teachers).
… (full text).