Occupy protesters return to New York park

Occupy protesters return to New York park. Judge says protesters can return to Zuccotti Park but cannot erect tents, after camp cleared and dismantled by police.

First watch the video, 1.44 min, published on Al Jazeera, November 16, 2011.

Many anti-corporate protesters have returned to a New York park from which they were earlier evicted by police in an effort to continue the “Occupy Wall Street” demonstration that has inspired similar protests in cities elsewhere in the US and abroad.  

A New York judge ruled earlier on Tuesday that the protesters could no longer pitch tents and other structures in Manhattan’s privately owned Zuccotti Park, after the two-month camp was dismantled by police in a surprise early morning raid.

Police said 200 people were arrested in the operation.

Protesters will be allowed to stay in the park for 24 hours a day, although New York’s winter weather may prove as tough a challenge to their resolve as legal efforts to remove them from the site.

Protesters then spent the day playing cat-and-mouse with authorities as they sought to re-establish their base near Wall Street, the symbolic epicentre of a movement protesting alleged corporate greed.

Police reopened the park in the evening and let the protesters back in one-by-one, but only after the protesters’ legal challenge to the dismantling of the camp was rejected by Michael Stallman, the judge who heard the case.

“No one will be denied entry,” a police officer said at the gate, as people began to wander back in again. Organisers put the number at 1,200.

Once inside, the crowd began to chant: “All day, all week, occupy Wall Street” … (full text).

Comments are closed.