Published on Democratic Underground, Feb 17, 2013;
- The Prisons
- The Courts
- The Police
- 1st Responders (Fire, Emergency)
- Education (Universal FREE through Graduate degrees – Yes. Charter Schools ARE Private Schools)
- The Postal Service
- The Administration of National/State Parks and other Public Lands and Resources including Energy.
- The Military (no armed “Private” Contractors, & NO “private contractors” of ANY sort in War Zones)
- Roads & Bridges
- A Basic National Transportation System
- Energy Grids (including Roads, Rail, Pipeline)
- Drinking Water
- Communication (Publicly Owned Free Internet for EVERYBODY)
- Health Insurance
In a democracy:
- ALL of the above (and more) should be protected assets of The Commons.
- They should ALL be publicly owned,
- completely transparent and accountable to The Public,
- and administered BY a Government of The People on an EQUAL basis.
If “Private Enterprise” wants to compete with these Publicly Owned / Government Administered Agencies, they are free to do so, but Private Competitors should NEVER receive a single penny of Public (Tax Payer) Money.
The Privatization of ANY of the above should raise serious Red Flags in any democracy.
“In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.
Among these are: … //
… All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.
America’s own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for all our citizens.” FDR, Economic Bill of Rights
Please note that FDR specified the above as Basic Human Rights to be protected and administered by our government, and NOT as Commodities to be sold to Americans by For Profit Corporations.
Feel free to add your own basic Human Rights that should be protected and administered by our Government OF The People.
You will know them by their WORKS, not by their excuses (Solidarity 99).